COPE is a partnership between Families, Education, Alberta Health Services, Alberta Human Services through Family Supports for Children with Disabilities (FSCD) and Children and Family Services. A shared concern amongst parents, educators and physicians is early identification and intervention for children experiencing emotional, behavioral and developmental difficulties. COPE provides school-based consultations with physician specialists (pediatricians and child psychiatrists) to support teachers and parents whose school-aged children are experiencing developmental, behavioral or emotional struggles impacting their learning by:
- Identifying mental health and/or developmental issues that may impact learning and behaviour
- Providing supportive recommendations for the management of the identified issues
- Providing referrals to other community organizations as necessary
- Providing case management and follow up
COPE referrals can be made by the school or referred by attending Pediatrician. To help ensure a smooth COPE request process schools can contact the COPE District Family Liaison.
- Promotes positive mental health in your child’s class
- Runs pro-social clubs
- Supports positive school culture by creating whole-school events
- And supports staff with social-emotional programming.